Adults in the workforce are invited to register as a speaker to help students learn about different careers and how to prepare for them.
United Way Profit In Education© is developing a speakers' bureau of business representatives who are willing to speak with area classes and student groups.
Potential settings for speakers registered with the speakers' bureau may include: middle school career day, career investigation courses, business classes or adult education programs.
Presentations will typically last 30-40 minutes but may vary based on the audience and setting. Speakers may be asked to present two to four times a year to various classes.
Speakers are encouraged to cover such topics as the following:
- The speaker's company
- Different careers available at the speaker's business
- Training and education required for jobs at the speaker's workplace
- Employer expectations
Additional possible topics:
- Need for high school diploma
- Drug testing
- Reliability (especially why showing up for work is important)
- Honesty, including on job applications
- Appearance-grooming, tattoos, clothing, piercings, etc.
- Proper technology use
- Encouragement that students have time to get on better path if needed
- Importance of gaining experience through volunteering